On the eve of my 35th birthday...

So, I’m about to turn 35 and reflecting on the past experiences that have brought my life to where it is at the age of 35.  Some might say 35 is a milestone, while others may not.  Nevertheless, it is still a moment to sit back and reflect as a means of checking myself to ensure I am on the path of progress. 

On the eve of my 15th birthday I was dreading that I had to go to summer school and not spend the time I wanted enjoying the summer the way I wanted.  I failed and looked at myself as a failure.  However, this was a humbling moment as it taught me to prioritize what was important over what was not.  You could say it was a moment that forced me to level up during my teenage years. It wasn’t easy, but I learned a lot about myself, gained a unique perspective, and understood that there are no shortcuts in life. 

On the eve of my 25th birthday, after a brief soiree in the Army, I completed my undergraduate degree and was preparing for graduate school, but was dealing with the breakup of the long-term relationship I had been in.  Although that was emotionally challenging, it was another humbling moment.  I learned that nothing lasts and sometimes you will lose at something you pour everything into.  You cannot heal overnight and must have faith in letting time, as well as positive activity, help facilitate the healing process. It wasn’t easy, but I learned a lot about myself, gained a unique perspective, and understood that there are no shortcuts in life.

On the eve of my 35th birthday, I’m reflecting on the last 10 years since my 25th birthday.  In these last 10 years, I completed graduate school and now finishing a PhD program.  I switched careers and finally achieved my lifelong goal of being a teacher, but not only that, I am teaching in the high school that I was rejected from when I applied as a student over 20 years ago.  In addition to that, I am also an adjunct professor for the CUNY school I nearly failed out of during the time I was trying to deal with life changing issues.  I’ve been published in a college textbook, had my name and research cited in another book, and now submitting an article for publication.  It wasn’t easy, but what I learned about myself, the unique perspective I gained, and not taking any shortcuts brought me to where I am today.

The most important lesson I’ve learned in these 35 years of living has been that ease is the greatest threat to progress and that there are no shortcuts in life.  If it were easy, we would not be faced with adversity that forces us out of our comfort zone, which facilitates personal and professional growth.  If it were easy, I would not have grown into the person and professional I am today.  Sometimes we will fail.  Sometimes we will lose.  Nevertheless, stay humble, stay focused, always look ahead and never look back until you’ve made it to your destination…then keep going.  As I look ahead and beyond my 35th birthday, I’ll continue learning, striving, growing and working until I have achieved everything I want in life.        

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deregulation: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Why Mitt Romney Lost the Presidential Election